First of all, on behalf of ethio telecom and on my own behalf, I am pleased to welcome you all for attending this special Press Conference.
As we all know, in this Age of Information Communication Technology, telecom service is not a luxury, but it is a basic necessity and a development accelerator of every nation. In line with this, ethio telecom accomplished an encouraging performance in order to meet the telecom sector target of Ethiopia¡¯s five year Growth and Transformation Plan (GTP) in 2004 Ethiopian fiscal year.
The company¡¯s total subscribers in all telecom services reached 18.28 Million as of the end of June 2012.
The total number of subscribers per category is
- Mobile SIM card sold 17.26 million. This means an average of 450,000 new mobile clients monthly over the year
- Fixed line 805 thousands
- Internet and data 221 thousands and
- GPRS 2.44 million.
The total customer base as of June 2012 has shown 59% increment when compared with the last fiscal year. Of which the Growth rate of Mobile is more than 64%, while internet & data services is more than 72%. This figure has indicated the strongest growth rate for an established operator.
The Total Revenue secured for for 2004 Ethiopian budget year was 12.35 billion Birr. Of this, Mobile revenue accounted for 66.6%, followed by interconnect (international service) revenue that accounts for 22.35%. The corresponding estimated EBITDA (Earning before Interest Tax Depreciation and amortization) amount was 8.87 billion Birr, which was 71.8% of the total revenue.
Regarding SIM and voucher cards distribution, ethio telecom has implemented a new distribution strategy to achieve product & services availability and sales objectives as well as to meet customer expectations. To this end, the number of distributors increased to 45 wholesalers and more than 34,000 points of sales (retailers) in the country. More than 1.4 Billion Birr sales revenue has been achieved from voucher as of June 2012.
During the past Ethiopian budget year, the company has launched various new services & tariff packages which are simple, more affordable and more diversified services. Customer could also benefit from the price discount on SIM card and on broadband data & internet services, as well as from full range of voucher denomination ranging from 5 to 1,000 Birr, and new Mobile handset packages addressing each segments of the population.
Moreover, ethio telecom has launched
- value added services (USSD codes, Call me Back, Credit Transfer, GPRS, Voicemail for postpaid),
- postpaid mobile offer to residential customers with credit limit policy application
- prepaid bundle offer with Voice, SMS and data
- ADSL Service offer with CPE customer premise equipment for residential customers
- 3G services offer
- EVDO dongle package
Added to these, new postpaid fixed line policy has been introduced.
Regarding enterprise customers, ethio telecom has customized management and dedicated Key Account managers, has launched Mobile Business Bundle offer with Bundle of voice, text and data to answer to customers needs as well as Closed User Group option (CUG) to minimize cost between employees. Besides, the company has Introduced data roaming, has launched Machine to Machine products as well as it has undertaken efficient expansion and security plan for international and data traffic, has deployed dedicated Customer Services for Enterprise clients.
Periodic consultative forums with Corporate Customers were organized.
Major projects for banks, African Union, universities & ERCA (Ethiopian Revenue and Custom Authority) were implemented.
With the objective of improving customer satisfaction, the Company implemented
- optimization of Call Center access through 994
- Call Center Quality of Service improvement, 980 success rate of 89% in June
- Customer Satisfaction surveys: call campaigns and proactive management
- Trouble Ticketing system for client management and resolution follow up
- Key Account consolidation through centralised invoicing and management
- Direct debit / Standing order with CBE/Commercial Bank of Ethiopia with main clients
- centralized collection for postpaid clients and credit limit management
- A Pilot Test of Sales Level Agreement (SLAs) for top clients was launched
Apart from these, ethio telecom has successfully implemented the Oracle financial management software in less than seven months. More than 200 staff were trained within two months. Oracle Enterprise Resource Planning can do real time transaction recording and enables to close monthly account centrally within three weeks.
Regarding Capacity Building for Ethiopian staff professionalisation and competency improvement, the Company has established training and Capacity building project and undertaken competency assessment division per division, gap analysis and definition of training programs. More than 3,800 ethio employees were trained within the year.
Furthermore, interactive France Telecom/Orange Corporate University training modules have been applied, which is the first time out of the France Telecom group.
In parallel, the Management organized day to day on-the job training and coaching at different levels. We organized as well apprenticeship program with several Universities.
Regarding network projects,the company has focused on network quality and to this effect, we signed an OPGW (OPptical Ground Wire) project agreement with Ethiopian Electric Power Corporation (EEPCo) to improve Coverage, Quality and Reliability of optical fiber network.
We also carried out
- strong Quality of Service action plan on a weekly basis
- 2G and 3G Mobile Optimization Program is ongoing
- Securisation of international voice and data traffic
- Network redundancy through new routes,OPGW, and microwave
- Rehabilitation of about 1,000 km optical fiber is ongoing
- State of the art Network Operation Center (NOC)
Furthermore, rural connectivity, Schoolnet and Woredanet connection projects have been undertaken.  The company has also accomplished the African Union new building connection.
With regard to automation projects, we wish to highlight the following
- ERP/Enterprise Resource Planning: Finance and HR modules have already launched, while Supply chain will be soon introduced
- Intranet for all ethio telecom employees
- ethio customers mail are not blacklisted any more
- Securisation, optimization and upgrade of systems and platforms have been conducted
- We are implementing a Disaster recovery program
- ethio telecom shops¡¯ ongoing automation is in progress.
I would like to outline our company¡¯s two year major achievements which were never experienced before
- International governance and organisation of the company
- Full range of coherent Products and Services for all markets and segments
- High level Capacity Building program within very short period of time
- Recurrent Quality of Service campaigns for network and IT,
- Reliable financial organisation and reporting
- First professional Call Center in Ethiopia
We are very proud of the achievements of ethio telecom and can assure you that all efforts are going to be made to progress even better and to overachieve ethio telecom targets in the future.
Finally, ethio telecom is taking the opportunity of this press conference event to disclose the appointment of Mr Bruno Duthoit as Chief Executive Officer of ethio telecom as of 15th September 2012. Mr Bruno Duthoit, graduated of French ¡°Ecole Polytechnique¡±, has more than 21years experience in France Telecom, and he was previously CEO of Orange Armenia and Orange Moldavia, and Board member of Orange in Poland.
NEWW YEAR PROMOTION HANDSET PACKAGES
From 17th September to 14th October  2012, with free SIM and 15 birr airtime
Tana s309 w/o Radio
Tana s309 w/o Radio
Tana    s309 with Radio
Tana    s309 with Radio