Register for telebirr service & get Br.15 bonus!
You will get 70MB of mobile data bonus when you create your telebirr account via the mobile app.
Customer categories and subscription requirements
Level 1 accounts
It shall be subject to a maximum daily electronic account balance of Ethiopian Birr 5,000 and there shall not be both a daily and monthly transaction limit.
- The full name of the applicant/account name
- The date of birth of the applicant.
- The mobile telephone number of the Applicant
- The place of birth of the applicant
- Recent photograph of the applicant
- The current residential address of the applicant
- The applicant shall be introduced by another person who already maintains an account
Level 2 & 3 accounts
They shall be subject to a maximum daily electronic account balance of Ethiopian Birr 30,000 and there shall not be both a daily and monthly transaction limit.
- Identity card of the user
- The full name of the applicant /account name
- The date of birth of the applicant
- The mobile telephone number of the applicant
- Recent photo of the user applicant
- The current residential/business address of the applicant
- Business license
- SIM serial number and
- Address (Town, City, Street, Postal code)
- Short code
- Organization name
- Address (Town, City)
- Postal code
- Signatory Name
- Signatory MSISDN
- Signatory Email
- Business license
- SIM serial number
- ID of the legal representative
- Original valid license
- Registration form
- Letter of delegation
- ID of delegation
- TIN number
The following renewed customer IDs are accepted for individuals telebirr subscription:
- Valid kebele ID
- Valid passport
- Valid taxpayer’s ID
- Valid Driver’s license
- Student ID
- Employment ID
Definition of terms
- telebirr is a service in which the mobile phone is used to access financial services such as to store, send, and receive money using their phone number.
- Master Agent is a legal person who has an overarching agreement with Ethio telecom to contract and manage its agents (including outlets) that provide agent service to customers on behalf of an Ethio telecom. The Master- agent enters contract with the agents for the provision of agent service on behalf of Ethio telecom.
- Agent is a person contracted by Ethio telecom to facilitate provision of agency business service in the name and on behalf of Ethio telecom in a manner specified in Use of Agents Directive and other relevant laws
- Cash-in means the process by which a user exchanges cash for electronic value and transactions resulting in an increase in the users’ electronic money account balance.
- Cash-out means the process by which a user exchanges electronic money for cash and transactions resulting in a decrease in the users’ electronic money account balance
- Electronic money means a monetary value represented by a claim on its issuer with the following attributes (I) issued up on receipt of Ethiopian Birr, (ii) it is accepted as a means of payment by persons other than the issuer, (iii) it has equal value with other electronic money issued in Ethiopian Birr, (iv) stored on an electronic device.
How to register for telebirr
You can make self-registration for telebirr using your own mobile phone via App or USSD, or by visiting your nearby Ethio telecom’s shop, authorized retail agents or partner bank branches.
- Create a “New Account”
- Choose “Quick Create Account” or “Self-Create Account”
- Enter “Mobile Number” & click on “Get Code”
- Then you will get 6 digit code via SMS
Enter the code in the verification code field
and click “Next”
- Then, you will get your personal editable data which holds:
- ID Type
- ID Card
- First, Middle and Last Name
- Date of Birth
- Preferred Language
- After inserting or checking the personal information, click “Submit”
- Then, you will receive default PIN via SMS
- Enter the default PIN and press login
- To activate the account, change the default PIN by a new one and click “Finish”
- Finally, you will receive SMS that your account has successfully been activated.
- Dial *127#
- Send 1 to register
- Enter invitation code or send # to skip
- Again dial *127#
- Send zero (0) to activate
- Select language
- Enter default PIN received from 127 & change to your own PIN.
- Then you will be notified that your account has been successfully activated.
You can also get registered at authorized agent or Ethio telecom shop by:
- Visiting the nearby agent or Ethio telecom shop
- Providing active mobile number and proof of identity to the agent
Invite up to 10 persons to subscribe for telebirr and get 300 Flexi units for yourself!
Ho to send invitations
A) Invite via telebirr mobile app
- Go to “My Account” section at the bottom right corner of the app home page
- Select “Invite Friends”
- Enter your friend’s Mobile Number and press “send”
B) Invite via USSD
- Dial *127#
- Select ‘Invite a friend’ (number 9) on the next page by entering hash symbol #
- Insert your friends mobile number
- Insert your PIN
- Select ‘OK’ to confirm the entered mobile number
You will get a notification message from telebirr (127).
Tip: The package bonus is valid for 48 hours