Roaming service enables you to access the same mobile service you get at home while you travel abroad with your local SIM. You can access voice, SMS and internet services.
Just walk to the nearest sales outlet for activation having your passport/national ID on hand. Or official requesting letter with signed and stamped roaming agreement form for all enterprise customers. Also birr 10,000 refundable deposit for all customers except Key Accounts.
Activation up on Arrival
For activation upon arrival, please follow the below steps:
Roaming service is available in more than 159 countries with over 553 operators. Of these, we have preferred (discounted) tariffs with over 111 operators in 76 countries.
We have two tariff sets: standard and preferred tariffs. Customers are advised to use the preferred (discounted) tariffs to manage their expenses. We also strongly advise customers to use data roaming on preferred operators’ network to avoid unexpected service bill.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How can I activate roaming?
- Before you travel, please got to the nearest ethio telecom sales outlet having your passport/national ID on hand. Or official requesting letter with signed and stamped roaming agreement form if the local SIM you use is owned by an enterprise customer. And birr 10,000 refundable deposit for all customers except Key Accounts.
- On arrival, your phone will automatically display one of the local networks that have a roaming agreement with ethio telecom; otherwise, you can search the network manually. The steps you are going to follow are displayed here in this page.
How do I use the service while in abroad?
- To make a call to any country: simply dial with the appropriate preceding country code, area code, and subscriber’s number
- To send SMS internationally: type your message and like in the above way.
- To access GPRS service: apply similar steps you have done in h
How I will be charged and billed for the services I used?
- When you initiate a service (call or SMS), you will be charged based on the regulated inter operator tariff rates.
- All your roaming bill will be reflected in your next bill period after usage.
- When you receive a service (call or SMS), you will be charged for the international part of the call from Ethiopia to the country you are roaming in whereas the caller or the sender will be charged as per the relevant local & national tariff ra
How can I manage my roaming expense?
All customers are advised to choose an operator that has preferred deal with ethio telecom. Operators with whom we have preferred deal are listed with their respective country of operation in this web page.